8 Things Dangerous for Your Pets

8 Things Dangerous for Your Pets

Keeping pets has become more and more popular. Many people keep pets with themselves or their families. However, in our family life, there are many pet owners who sometimes ignore the harmful things in their lives. Having a pet is a big responsibility that goes beyond feeding and walking it. The first thing to do is “dog-proof“ or ”cat-proof" your house and your lifestyle.

Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine

These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee, and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Pets seem to love the taste of chocolate and can overeat it for a short period of time. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest. But ingesting large amounts of milk chocolate is also harmful to pets.


Keeping insects at bay is great but not at the expense of your pet’s health. Pesticides are commonly used in homes, mostly containing pyrethrins. In general, it is safer to follow the instructions. But people can be careless and mix pesticides. Tremors and seizures are likely if your puppy gets a lot of pesticides.

Household Cleaner

Most household cleaners, such as window cleaners and dish soaps, are fairly safe to use when properly diluted and used as directed. But concentrated products such as the cleaner for toilet bowel, oven and drain are very unsafe and may cause chemical burns to the dog's mouth and esophagus once ate. Besides, most detergents consist of chemicals (ionic, anionic surfactants) that can bring on enormous drooling, suffocation, and vomiting. The biggest danger lies in laundry detergent pods as they smell good and look just like a toy or a candy for your pet, easily swallowed or bitten into. So any cabinet that contains these items has to be pet-proofed to keep your pet’s exploration impulses away.


A dresser full of cosmetics is a dangerous place for pets. Some colognes and perfumes may contain ethanol, which can lead to drowsiness and depression, especially in smaller dogs. If they chew on mascara wand and lipstick tube, a blockage is likely to kill your dog.

Salt Lamp

Himalayan salt lamps have increased in popularity in recent years. Not only do they offer a warm, gentle glow to your room, but they also offer a long list of health benefits for humans. Himalayan salt lamp benefits supposedly include decreasing air pollution, negative ions and electrosmog caused by electronic devices in addition to symptom reduction for people suffering from asthma, allergies and other illnesses.

However, too much salt is poisonous for both dogs and cats. Salt poisoning can cause serious symptoms in your pet, like vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, lethargy, and even death. Now, cats and dogs do need some salt, in moderation, to keep their bodies functioning. However, the recommended maximum daily salt intake for a cat is 16.7 mg.

This can be a simple fix by placing it in an area or room where there are no pets allowed. Or you can simply place it on something where your pets can't reach.

Small Segment Wire

Sometimes the danger arises from the master's momentary carelessness. Playful cats use wire as toys. At first, the cat just sticks it in her mouth and plays with it, but it's likely she'll soon lick the wire into her stomach. It's easy to swallow nearly 10cm of wire, as the cat only swallows and unable to spit anything out of its throat. Or it could get worse: half in and half out and stuck the throat.

Cooking Bench

The kitchen is a dangerous area, and pets should not be allowed in anyway. A knife on a cutting board may break a pet's flesh. An unidentified object in a trash can may cause your pet to have diarrhea. Boiling water in an open water bottle and shards of glassware can hurt the pet. The most important thing is that the kitchen has the fire. Don't overestimate the natural protective abilities of cats and dogs. As pets, they are no different in their ability to recognize danger than a three-year-old who coddles with his parents.

An Open Window

Many cats like to sit on windowsills and watch birds fly and trees move through the Windows. But there are also kittens who are particularly drawn to the outside world and who don't know what they are going to get out through the open window, and their adventures could end up in your air conditioning unit. It could also stall on the awning of your downstairs neighbor. And, of course, there were a few who jumped off.


Hope this article can help you notice something dangerous for your pets which you ignore in your daily life. You can see more from here.